by the Royal New Zealand Navy


Greenpeace had been very active in the peace flotilla at Mururoa in 1973. This article summarises Gavin Apperley's official report on the role the Navy had in salvaging the Greenpeace Ship Rainbow Warrior and in preserving evidence for the police investigation.

On Thursday the 10 July 1985 the-British registered Greenpeace vessel Rainbow Warrior was sunk in Auckland harbour by French saboteurs of the DGSE. Greenpeace Photographer Fernando Pereira was killed when the limpet mines exploded. The Navy's initial response was just 2 hours alter the explosions, when leading Diver (LDR) Schmidt of the Operational Diving Team (OPT) entered the wreck and recovered Pereira's body. The Diving Team also conducted a search of the hull and wharf for any other explosives; none were found.

The police declared the wreck a crime scene; they wanted it recovered for forensic examination, they even wanted to examine the seabed under the ship. Beginning the following Monday the ODT, under the command of LT Hugh Aitken, conducted a survey of the wreck, reporting a huge hole in the engine room, and extensive damage around the propeller and propeller shaft. In the subsequent two weeks The naval dockyard team assessed various options for salvage, while the Divers began clearing The interior of the ship, moving some 30 tons of equipment and fittings out of the wreck.

The salvage team removing the mast

The salvage task was a daunting one; Rainbow Warrior had sunk onto her starboard side, burying The huge (2.4 x 1.5m) hole in her hull in the soft mud of the seabed. But the impact of the two limpet mines was immense, shock blast and shrapnel damage had spread far into the ship. When eventually salvaged a full inspection revealed she could never be made seaworthy again.

Many preparations went on in the next two weeks, before The Master of The Rainbow Warrior signed a salvage agreement with the police on 24 July; The next day CURE Tempero (Commodore Auckland) signed an Administration Order placing Gavin Apperley, Constructive Manager at HMNZ Dockyard, in charge of the salvage. The Navy's resources, including The ODT were placed in support of Apperley's team; The Ministry of Transport's Oil Unit was also available (led bv Gerry Wright, a former naval officer).

LTCDR Brian Ward, Then Assistant Queen's Harbour Master and in charge of The Support Team of PHILOMEL sailors, saw The salvage in three main phases:


19-28 July The removal of all accessible items in the Rainbow Warrior, a thorough survey of damage and commencing patching of the stern damage.


28th July- 19th August. Patching. Engine room patches placed, test plumbing and attaching air bags.


19-22 August. Raising the ship, moving her south along Marsden Wharf and finally moving her to Calliope Dock.

Even though the trawler had been sunk in shallow water and next to a wharf, The salvage was not simple. First were structural limitations of the wharf itself, then there were the structural limitations of the slip. Rainbow Warrior was old, suffered corrosion in key decks and bulkheads and had been rather carelessly converted by Greenpeace so that few of her internal bulkheads were in fact watertight (because cable runs and other alterations had been made without regard for basic ship fitting).

The RNZN Operational Diving Team worked continuously on the Rainbow Warrior from 11 July to 22 August in appalling conditions.

The salvage effort began with the divers; they had to clear The interior, block shrapnel holes and cable runs, and guide the suction loses to rid the hull of mud; even the ship's drawings had to be recovered from underwater. And all this had to be done with police evidence in mind. It was of course winter: the days were short, The water cold - and polluted with diesel from the bomb-damaged fuel tanks - while The wind would blow up a nasty chop that pounded into the basin beside Marsden Wharf.

But alter several approaches, it became inevitable that the Dockyard would have to fabricate a patch to cover the main hole in the engine room, and The divers would have to attach it over the hole. But because the ship could not he moved, the patch would have to be applied with The ship still on her side and barely a loot of clearance under her for The divers to operate in.

Inside the Rainbow Warrior revealing the damage

Underlying each of the decisions were many hours of calculations by the Constructor and Ins team. For all its size and apparent strength a ship is a dynamic object, but when tilled with a 1000 tons of water and weakened by shock or blast, The structure can easily buckle or collapse. The Dockyard team knew that a wrong move could break up the ship, worse, an error could cause casualties among the salvage team. The Dockyard staff were assisted by the Ministry of Transport, who made their Apple III computer (in Wellington) available to assist with calculations.

For the divers it was continuous hard work. LT Aitken reported that, "The salvage was a challenging task, conducted in conditions of nil visibility and often involving a high degree of difficulty. "

The Divers used surface supply breathing apparatus, which meant they had a continuous air supply. In the relatively shallow depths, they didn't have to worn- about decompression tables, and the SSBA meant they enjoyed hard- wired communications with the surface. They quickly developed an excellent working relationship with the Police, the Auckland Harbour Board and the Fire Brigade (who provided additional pumps to assist the salvage).

Early on the decision was made to hire salvage airbags from Salvage Pacific Ltd in Fiji, These bags each with a five ton lift capacity, were mounted along Rainbow Warrior's starboard side to give additional buoyancy and to control the lift. That meant more work for the ODT who had to bolt and weld on the steel eyepieces to fasten each air hag to the hull of the ship.

In addition, the Ministry of Transport loaned Captain G. C. Wright to assist and oversee the large capacity MOT pumps. "Always helpful, always cheerful, CAPT Wright became a strong member of our team," LTCDR Ward reported. LTCDR Ward's Support Team did all the surface tasks imaginable: working on and in the Rainbow Warrior to make the accessible structure watertight, operating the pumps, even cooking for the whole salvage team. Few across the harbour in PHILOMEL understood the adverse conditions they were working in for example the supply of dry socks became a bone of contention when The Supply Depot, not understanding the nature of the salvage work, told the salvage crew to wash and dry their own socks.

In mid-August, as more of the ship was being pumped out and made watertight it became apparent that The Navy's Rover gas turbine pumps were not up to the task. The Fire Brigade supplemented the pumping effort at short notice, in time for the final lift. When the final lift took place it was a cacophony of these engines. The five big MOT salvage pumps, the Fire o Brigade's three pumps, five more from the Harbour Board and even the scream from the two Rovers, and the roar of air compressors supplying the divers and filling the salvage air bags.

At 0245 on 21 August The final lift began, by dawn Rainbow Warrior was partially afloat and almost upright, she was moved south and the pumps rearranged for The harbour crossing. At 121,5 on 22 August Rainbow Warrior was docked in Calliope Dock; as the water drained down The full extent of the bomb blast could lie seen. A Royal Navy underwater explosives expert flew in to assist with the Police examination; finally the Dockyard was tasked with sealing The ship and making her watertight for eventual disposal. On 25 September The Rainbow Warrior was undocked and the Navy's part in her salvage came to an end.

Today The Rainbow Warrior lies in Matauri Bay, Northland, accessible to sports divers. Her salvage was an interdepartmental and commercial team effort, led by The Naval Dockyard and involving many from PHILOMEL.

The salvage of the Rainbow Warrior is an event The Navy can look back on with pride. 
Article from "The White Ensign" the RNZN Museum Journal Issue 05 winter 2008.

G. C. Apperley, Salvage of the Rainbow Warrior: July/August 1985 at Marsden Wharf East, Report from Constructive Manager, HMNZ Dockyard, Auckland: RNZN 1985.



Joomla templates by a4joomla